Monday, April 30, 2007

Snot True
I have spent three of the last four weeks ill. It seems that the flora of Southern California doesn't agree with my sinuses. Lacking health insurance, I ignored early symptoms which developed into a raging upper respiratory infection. Yummy. I am completely functional. I go to work. And I am able to control most of my symptoms for a six or seven hour stretch but I am fatigued constantly. And oh so full of phlegm.

My day consist of a morning sinus irrigation followed by a thorough gargle. I then take many tablets (Mucinex and Sudafed). I go to work where I pretend to care about pizza, pasta, and customer service. I come home. I watch TV, movies, Internet. I then do a nightly face irrigation followed by a gargle. I take my evening pills (Mucinex and Benadryl). And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

He/She
I watched 20/20 on Friday with Barbara Walters special report on transgendered children. It was so informative and thought provoking. I wish people could move past their ignorance, prejudices, and piety and learn to accept people for people. We have to get past our traditional Western beliefs about gender and sexuality. Although, it should be noted that gender and sexuality are two very separate ideas. This program proves that to me. These children aren't even sexually aware yet but they know that there is a gender disconnect between their genitalia and their self-perception. My heart goes out to anyone that has been born this way. It must be such a struggle. First there is the battle of the mind and body. And then there is the battle with the world. I think this will be the next civil rights issue in our country. We are moving away from the racism of the 50s and 60s. We are moving toward more acceptance of gay rights. Now, we have to protect and liberate the transgendered.

No comments:

Post a Comment