Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Grind

I have never been afraid of work. I have had a job of some sort since I was 12 years old. Yard work, babysitting, camp counselor, tutor. You name it and I did it. I was a hard working kid. During one of the more entrepreneurial moments of my youth I wrote speeches for for my 9th grade classmates to help them complete the Illinois state speech requirement. I come from a long line of hard workers on my mother's side. That is an important distinction because my parents were total opposites. My mother fought and worked hard always. My father never met a scheme or government hand-out he didn't like. Mom instilled in me that you reap what you sow. You want to reap a lot than you have to sow a lot. Dad? Well...he could roll a joint like a motherfucker. Fast, fat, and clean. Seriously, it was impressive.

I have continued to work hard since my move to LA over three years ago. I took whatever job came my way no matter how demeaning or below my education and experience level. Now I find myself feeling very lazy or at least ambivalent regarding work. I haven't had a steady "real job" in over 8 months. I really don't want one. I just want to do art. I want to act, write, and play with my dog. I have had that before in my life. I had many great years when actor was my sole source of income. It was heaven. Unfortunately, in all those years of working I neglected to save up enough money so that I can lead that kind of lifestyle constantly. So, I continue to do things I don't want to do like work this part time office job. It's only 4 1/2 hours a day; the work is light; and the commute is short. So, why am I complaining? Cause I want to do what I want to do. And honey, this ain't it.

So, how do I get to the next step where I am living my dream of writing, acting, and playing with my dog? The answer can't simply be more hard work. Seems too easy and I don't want to work harder I want to work smarter. I am smart (sometimes).

I decided to put my smartness to work. I came up with a list of possible money making ideas (I'm becoming more like my father every day).

Below is a preliminary list of possible low effort jobs to tie me over until I again reach the day that my art becomes my primary gold mine. Each one of these jobs involves something I love to do so it's not really working. It's loving. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

1. Sex Therapist
2. Sexy Therapist (there is a difference in #1 and #2 and if I have to explain it...never mind)
3. Food Tester
4. Professional Complainer aka Political Pundit
5. Nut Doctor
6. Facebook Wall Decorator
7. Twitter Stalker
8. Internet Detective
9. Dog Sitter
10. Ball Buster
11. Male Model Adjudicator
12. List Maker

I guess I could just marry well except as a gay man...that's another post. Until my dreams come true I am also accepting donations and in-kind gifts. Please feel free to donate to my paypal account at anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment