Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What is Wrong with US?
South African Parliament Approves Same-Sex Marriages I read that headline yesterday while temping at the big giant advertising agency. The first thing that came to mind was , "we boycotted this country when I was in college because of serious human rights violations." Now, they have surpassed the United States in terms of equality for all.

The American hypocrisy is amazing. We think we are so much more advanced and enlightened than other countries yet we are so far behind. Here, we don't allow the same rights for all adult citizens. We don't even consider gays to be worthy of equal treatment. The far right cries out that we want special treatment. Is is so special to want the same legal benefits as our straight counterpoints?

The US Catholic bishops met recently to figure out what to do with the gays. They decided to handle it the old fashioned way, encourage us to be eunachs. You see, it is okay to be gay as long as you don't act on it. You could have sex if you are married but gays can't get married. It is harder to be a gay Catholic than a non-union actor.

The biggest joke, for me at least, is that I am so far from being proper marriage material. I don't have a boyfriend. I don't even have a job or property. I am moving in two weeks, so I'm in major transition. But dammit, let me at least have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment