Wednesday, August 18, 2004

New York City Boys
Let's run down the good stuff from last week.

WEDNESDAY
First, there was Wednesday. I got to sleep in late because I didn't have to show up at the crap temp job. It was my standard travel day (similar to my Second City TourCo days). My bag was packed from the night before so I did a classic "wake and bake". I made my way down to Paul S' apartment so that I could feed his cats and water his plants before I left. From there I picked up some delicious Fannie May Chocolates for my best friend Dan G in Brooklyn.

I made it to the airport and was so excited when I was upgraded to first class. This is going to be an awsome trip! So I thought. Turns out that because of rain on the East coast my flight was cancelled. So I rebooked another flight. I did meet Mark Wolov. He is the brother of Julia Wolov, who used to work at Second City. I also met Savion Glover, who was stranded in Chicago after his flight was cancelled. I couldn't get first class but Savion did. No worries because I was on my way to New York City.

I arrived at LaGuardia, jumped in a cab, hit the BQE and landed in Brooklyn. It was great to see Dan. It is difficult when your best bud lives so far away. We talk on the phone nearly nightly but there is nothing like good face time with someone who gets you.

THURSDAY
I woke up around 10 am and watched some Six Feet Under from this season. That was a treat. I then got dressed, got on a subway and headed for Central Park. In the park I watched the Broadway softball league play. My friend Jennifer H was playing with the team from the show De La Guarda. Little did I know that I would be seeing these guys the very next night in their show.

I spent a good part of the day in the park. The weather was perfect and my outfit was kicky and cute. I talked to all kind of actors about what it was like being in New York. Everyone had valuable things to tell me.

After De La Guarda lost two games that day they were eliminated from the tourney. Jennifer and I went on a short shopping trip to get Jennifer a new shirt and then we headed to McHales to meet Dan and his friend Matt for burgers and a beer. I always wanted Jennifer and Matt to meet so this was perfect. They loved each other of course.

After dinner, Dan, Matt, and I headed to my first surprise show, Caroline or Change. I will talk about the shows individually later. An old acquaintance, Kerry Riffle was in the audience. I got to talk to Kerry, who now lives in NYC, after the show. Dan, Matt, Matt's friend Sara, and I walked around New York for about an hour and then Dan and I headed back to Brooklyn. I watched more Six Feet Under and the finale of Last Comic Standing.

FRIDAY
I got up and put together another cute outfit and headed to the Meat Packing District for brunch with Colleen McHugh at Pastis (Very Sex and The City). I love Colleen. She has this incredible voice and she is so funny. She is also the best fag hag Chicago has ever seen. When she used to live here and we toured together for Second City. I really loved seeing her in New York.

After Colleen and I walked around for a bit I headed back to Dan's place. Dan and I took what seemed like the longest subway ride to Coney Island. Coney Island!!! I can't say enough about our trip to Coney Island. I had fun like I was 10 years old. I rode the roller coaster and ate Nathan's hot dogs. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Leaving Coney Island we took an even longer ride to the city so we could go to show #2 which turned out to be De La Guarda. Jennifer met us after the show and we went to XL lounge for two of the strongest drinks in New York. From there it was back to Union Square to hang out with the De La Guarda cast. I was a bit tipsy but we ended up at some see and be seen breeder joint. Dan and I left and took a cab across the Brooklyn Bridge and after another episode of Six Feet Under I went to bed.

SATURDAY/SUNDAY AM
This was a tough day because of the day before. I was slow moving and lacking energy. We went to our friend Ruth and Adam's place to see their 5 month old Abigal. She was adorable until she shit all over the place. She literally had shit in her belly button but just like a good baby, she smiled and laughed. I wish I could just shit my pants and smile.

Dan gave me a tour through Brooklyn Heights and then we headed to Harlem. I had never been to Harlem but now I have been to THE Apollo Theatre.

We made our way back to Union Square and to a restaraunt where Dan's friend Jeff works. We met Ruth (sans shitty baby) and had dinner. After dinner, the three of us walked to the West Village smoking weed all the way there on our way to show #3, The Mariajuana-logues. After the show, we ate Hagen-Daas and let Ruth get home to her husband and baby.

For Dan and I there was more walking. Even though it started to rain, we just kept walking. It was wonderful. Even though it was Saturday night, we decided to call it a night and head back to Dan's so I could finish up my Six Feet Under marathon followed by an Upright Citizen's Brigade marathon (how much do I love that Amy Poehler?).

A few short hours later a car was waiting to take me to the airport and back to Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment