Monday, July 10, 2006

Hardly Working
The weekend is over and while that means back to work for most for me it means back to no work. Well, not entirely true. There is a lot of writing to be done. There is still the matter of ordering my new headshots. And there is always a major house chore to be done. For example, I am expecting a delivery of 1500 live ladybugs today that need to be released into our garden in order to eat the aphids and spider mites. Oh, what an exciting life it is.

The weekend, however, was different. The weekend started for me on Thursday afternoon when Steve and I went to see Superman Returns at the IMAX in 3-D. I loved this movie. Watching it on a four story screen in 3-D just made it better. If you haven't caught this soon to be classic flick then you better hurry. It is worth seeing on the big screen for the special effects but the storytelling and acting are great too.

I taught on Friday. I mentioned in some earlier posts about the opening of the Strangers With Candy movie. I still haven't caught the movie yet but it opened on Friday. One of the featured actors and I co-taught a class on Friday before he went to his Chicago opening (the film opened in New York last week). The class that we teach is part of The Second City Outreach and Diversity program. We (as well as another great teacher named Jonathan) will be teaching a 5 week intensive improv training workshop designed to give a leg up to underrepresented actors in the improv community including actors of color, women, and LGBT actors. While teaching one of these intensive two years ago I met Rebecca, my comedy partner, and formed Straight & Nappy.

Saturday was a StoryBus day. We were at the DuSable Museum for the 32nd Annual Arts and Crafts Fair. This is a great event that I have attended for the last two years. This year I got to meet Chicagoan and former television star, Karyn Parsons. Ms. Parsons is better known as Hilary from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Sometimes when you meet actors from television it is a little disappointing to see that they are so regular. Ms. Parson, however, is one of the few actors that actually is more beautiful in person. Her skin, her aura, everything about her seems to radiate beauty. She recently produced a new series of educational DVD's aimed at teaching children about lesser known Black historical figures. The first is called The Journey of Henry Box Brown. This film is the historic true tale of slave Henry Box Brown, a man who mailed himself in a wooden box from a plantation in Richmond, Virginia to freedom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1848. The DVD features the award winning actress and this year's double Emmy nominee Alfre Woodard as narrator. Check it out.

Sunday was the final registration and orientation for working as a volunteer at the Gay Games VII here in the Windy City. I am scheduled to work the opening ceremonies and the closing ceremonies. I may volunteer for another shift at one of the sporting events...Maybe wrestling that sounds good. I don't care just give me something to do.

So, that was my weekend. Now if you'll excuse me, I have got to get back to not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment