Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Whose Life is this?
It really is a shame that this is my first post in a week.  Last week was one of the most fulfilling week in the last 2-3 years.
Lets begin on Sunday.  I went to the opening of Weddings of Mass Destruction written and performed by GayCo and produced by The Second City (my old bosses).  I got really dressed up because I was trying to impress a guy that works with the company.  A really cute guy, named B, who flirted heavily with me at Pride.
B didn't really show me any attention that day and I felt kind of stupid.  The next day, he called and was cool about it.  Even though I was getting a sense that he was avoiding me, I realize that people are busy and lives that don't have anything to do with me.  He agreed to meet me that night at the park to see an invited dress performance of a Second Ciy show at Theatre on the Lake.  The show wasn't very good.  The cast was still struggling with what the final version of the show would be.  I suggested that he and I leave.  We did.
Now let me state that things were going off from the beginning.  B was 45 minutes late and he had a bit of 'tude, like he didn't want to be there.  I thought our evening was unspectacular but I still enjoyed being with him.  I haven't really heard from him since.  Tuesday, I sort of expected not to hear from him but when I called him on Wednesday, how surprised was I that he never returned my call, not even to today.  I sent him an email but I just  can't call him.  If I call and he blows me off, I will feel more stupid than ever.
So that is just the beginning of the week.  I tought my class on Wednesday at Second City.  I was a bit emotional because I felt bad about being rejected.  I ended channeling that energy in a positive way by telling my students how important they were and how I was so glad that they signed up for the workshop.  I went on telling them that I hope that I have been a good enough teacher/instructor (hello!  Needy gay black man coming through).
Thursday I hung out with Paul S.  I hadn't seen him since he attended the opening of the GayCo show.  He assumed that I was having a whirlwind romance with B but I was not.  I was being needy with my students and getting massively high at home.
Friday afternoon I had an audition for a fast food company.  They are introducing a new sub sandwich.  We had to improvise a scened from a movie and incorporate the sandwich in our presentation.  The movie they chose for us was a Star Trek film.  I have seen the first 2 or 3 Star Trek films but not being a sci-fi fan, I really don't remember them that well.  I sucked.  I was awful but I did get to eat a free sub.
Friday night, GayCo hosted a benefit.  It was a "gay wedding reception" to tie in their show, Weddings of Mass Destruction.  I was excited to go but after being dissed by B, I opted out. 
Instead Paul S and I went to see Spiderman 2.  I loved it!  It is one of the best action movies I have ever seen.  If you haven't seen the first film, I don't think the experience will be as fulfilling.  I did see the first film and I loved the 2nd.  It had everything in one movie, action, comedy and romance.
Saturday was another movie night, this time with Jason, Paul S' brother.  He loves comedy and he and I have a similar comic sensibility.  We saw Anchorman.  It was not as good as Spiderman 2 but that is like saying that a cheesburger isn't as good as a T-bone. 
Sunday started with a call from old friend.  We decided to get together and check out the new Millennium Park downtown.  It really is spectacular.  I will write more about the park later.  That is a wholde seperate entry.  My friend Danny F and I were joined by his current beau Lim.  We were later joined by another friend, Tim. 
Tim is fun and young and reckless.  I love to hang with him from time to time.  Tim and I went to Big Chicks after the park.  Lim and Danny went off to do couple's stuff.  Tim and I drank vodka lemonade after vodka lemonade.  Then we commenced to getting as high as we could before we scooted our asses out on Chicago's less than hopping gay life on Sunday in Uptown.  We managed to find some trouble to get into when I noticed I had a voicemail message.  It was my mother.
Mother goes to bed so early, it is ridiculous so I knew something must be wrong if she is leaving me a message at 11 pm on Sunday night.  Apperently, my niece had a bad fall and was in brain surgery.  I freaked.  My niece is less than a year old and while my sister and I don't get along at all, I still don't want anything terrible to happen to her children.  It was an awful turn.  On top of the bad news, I was drunk.  I actually had another vodka after I spoke to Mom.  I wasn't sure what else to do.  I was stunned. 
I went home called my best friend Dan G and he helped relax me.  When I woke up yesterday morning, I had slept through a message from Mom that said that my niece made it through surgery and they just had to see what was happening next.  When I spoke with my mother later in the day, she said that my niece had awakened from surgery.  Things were looking very optimistic.  The whole experience was pretty surreal.
Yesterday, I have to say, I never felt more alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment