Sunday, December 28, 2003

Part Two, cont'd
There are 5 things I remeber clearly about the seventh and eigth grade. I lump the two grades together because I was in the same classroom with the same teacher, Mr. Kruse, for both years. Ronald Reagan was shot; the Pope was shot; Anwar Sadat was shot and killed; my Dad moved back to Peoria; and my Uncle Bingo died just as I was getting ready to graduate from the 8th grade.

I went to a small Lutheran elementary school on the south side of Peoria. It was called Christ Lutheran School. My graduating class had about a dozen students maybe less. I remember Betty Sprattling because I had such a crush on her and I was determined that I would grow up and marry her. I spoke to her on the phone almost everyday and I got the biggest thrill out of it. I liked her so much but I was always so scared to tell her. I think I actually might have been addicted to the fear. So, through most of seventh and eigth grade, I only dreamed of being Mr. Betty Sprattling.

I wanted to tell Betty how I felt about her. I thought of a plan that I would launch after graduation. I figured we would be older and wiser once we got those eigth grade diplomas. After all, we were already teens. The plan was simple. After the graduation service (don't forget -- Lutheran School), I would take her to the playgrounds that we had seen everyday and I would kiss her and pledge my love always. This was to be the most romantic gesture ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment