Tuesday, December 30, 2003

There really is no business like show business
It is obvious to me that sorting through the death of my father is going to take some time. I'm going to take a break from writing about my paternal memories today so that I can talk about something I love: ME.

I am running on fumes. I say that figuratively but I must admit that I do feel a bit gassy at the present time. Today I am a temp receptionist in the Sears Tower. The job is a fairly easy and simple one. I greet guests and answer the main phone line. Since it is the end of the year and the holiday season, things are very slow. So basically, I am a glorified greeter, sort of like the old people they hire to give you a shopping cart as you enter Walmart. I smile (a lot). I wonder if the regular employees think I am incredibly cheery or mentally retarded.

I worked here yesterday morning as well. Yesterday was pretty much like this morning, lots of smiling and not much else to do but write this blog and surf the web. There was one major difference yesterday. Yesterday was Monday.

Every Monday at The Second City, the National Touring Company performs. I am a member of this prestigious company and my company (RedCo) is preparing for a limited engagement at Vienna's English Theatre in Austria. We are preparing a special show for the Austrians including two original musical pieces written just for these performances.

Yesterday I worked from 8 am to 1 pm as "the smiler" and then I rehearsed from 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm. I then performed two "preview performances" of our Austrian comedy revue at 8 pm and 11 pm before sold out audiences. Between shows our director gave us notes and after the second performance we saluted our senior cast member Kevin McGeehan.

Kevin's last performance with our group will be in Austria but last night was his last "home show." The Second City tradition is to allow departing actors to perform their favorite scenes during the improv set after the regular performance. And last night was no exception. Kevin had special guests come in and we performed a scene that Kevin and I co-wrote (well, he wrote it and we worked together on the re-writes) entitled "Pacific Rim."

It was long night but a great night all and all. Of course, there was partying after the two shows and the "McGeehan extravaganza" but alas I could only stay for a short while. I shared a cab home with our great musical director Joe Grazulis. I was in bed by 3 am and up again at 6:45 am so I could smile at people again at 8 am.

passings
I have to note the passing of two great women. They are women that most people have never heard of but those of us "in the know" recognize that these two women made the world a little bit better.

So, I bow my head and give reverence to Helen Gustafson, who died on Dec. 14th and the great Isabelle Stevenson, who died on Dec. 28th.

I never had the privilege to meet either of these women but they both affected my life. Good night ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment