Tuesday, October 18, 2005

World Series? If You Say So


There is all kinds of excitement in Chicago because the Southsiders known as the White Sox have made it to the World Series for the first time in nearly 50 years. I could care less. This is one of the least important issues I could think of right now. It seems that millions of people disagree with me. Let me ask you this, since when is North America defined as the World?

I was raised in Peoria and most of what I know about professional baseball came through the WGN-TV broadcast of Cubs games. I remember listening and watching the late Harry Caray as he shouted "Holy Cow" at every game. I remember the first time I went to Wrigley Field and saw Caray lean from the window to sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the seventh innning stretch. Peoria even had (or has, I don't know) a Cubs minor league team. So, now there is all this White Sox Fever and I just can't catch it.

My friend and collaborator, Dre, decided he would help me out so he sent me this email today:

Ok so by now u Cubbies have crawled out of ur caves(it is hibernation season 4 u guys right) and seen the light emmiting from the South Side by a band of 25 guys called The White Stockings....i mean SOX!!!(hey its been a long time since weve been n something called a WORLD SERIES!!!) As the only 2 Cub fans i know i offer u both this once and a lifetime offer(callers r standing by) 2 join the fun and become temporary SOX Fans. I say temporary because i know the blood in ur veins is blue and u have both been programmed by TRIBCO 2 only see Cub. But we at the Cell take all that in 2 account and give u 4 this time only(Maybe next year when we repeat) The White Sox Temp Pass. With this pass u can join the rest of the world watch BASEBALL.(honestly im not sure what they call that thing they play at that toilet on the north side) Watch a manager manage games, watch HEALTHY pitchers pitch a whole game(thats 9innings), watch guys who know how 2 bunt(and know what BUNT means) and u get the pleasure of not watching Corry Patterson. That should be reason number one 4 getting this pass. Now i know that all of this sounds foreign 2 u guys, Baseball in October. Trust me im stiil finding it hard myself. But its true. So grab the rest of the drunken frat boy society and cheer on The GO GO WHITESOX! Hurry these things r selling out faster than Dusty can chew a toothpick.


Peace

SOUTH SIDE DRE


Sorry Dre, while I will always root for the hometown, I will NOT jump on the bandwagon. I didn't care about the White Sox before and today is no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment