Friday, May 07, 2004

I have been waiting all week to write. I hate when I get too busy. This past week I was ill for most of the week so I was a day behind for the rest of the week. I never did figure out what was wrong with me but it is safe to say that I felt like pure dogshit. I even missed a performanc on Tuesday. The whole time that I worked for The Second City, I never once missed a performance. This past week just couldn't be helped. You know that feeling you have after the flu. Groggy, extreme fatigue, sore, etc. That is how I felt all week until yesterday.

Everyone was telling me, "oh, you're just tired," or "you just did too much over the weekend." Well, you know what? I know my body and this was more than "just tired."

Idol
Goodbye George Huff. You done good boy! Now it is all down to the ladies. I love it. I love a woman who can sing (or sang, as they used to say at my church). My pick is Fantasia, all the way.

Boys
I am saying this today but by the time the evening comes, I will have changed my point of view. I need a break from boys. More specifically, I have got to stop looking at every guy I see. I'm starting to think of myself as uncool. I don't know, I must have been just born a horny dog but boys, boys, boys, boys, boys. STOP IT.

Friends
I watched the series finale last night. I will admit it now to the world, I cried. I was so touched by the performances and there were some really funny bits. And this is so wrong but I cried when Ross and Rachel got together. It was the most romantic thing I have ever seen on TV.

Working
My temp position is rolling along. I am a finance person for the next three months. It really is too bad that I can't seem to get my own finances in order but hopefully job will do a lot towards changing that. Today no one is in the office except construction workers. The entire office is out doing volunteer work. They asked me would I mind being the receptionist for the day. Of course I don't mind making 40% more (I get more money because I am in finance vs. reception) sitting here answering phones for an office that is closed. That sounds like my dream job. The dream sucks. I am basically manning an office by myself. I have to answer phones, check the mail, mail out checks, answer questions for the construction guys and I haven't had a break in 5 1/2 hours and my day isn't over for another 4 1/2 hours. Isn't that illegal? Oh Lordy, I done angered you Lordy and now I be in administrative hell Lordy!

Down Low
In case you are not a Black man or you don't watch Oprah (no way I just tied those two groups together), there is thing called the Down Low or the DL. Basically, these are closeted men but it goes further because most of them have unprotected sex and many are putting themselves, and the women that love them, at a high risk for Sexually Transmitted Diseases including HIV and AIDS. As an openly gay black man it is dificult for me to look the other way. I have been debased and put down my entire life by these DL brothers, many of whom are terribly homophobic. It is time for the African-American community to be honest and forthright in matters of health and sexuality. The statistics of new HIV cases is abnormally high among Af-Americans especially women. Something is very very wrong. Many Af-Americans are quick to attend church every Sunday where they jump for joy, sing in the choir, and yell "amen" to the preacher. "Oh Lord," many cry, "forgive me for my sins." The biggest sin is to sit in silence when a serious health issue is at a crisis. The real sin is the hypocrite that looks me in my eye and shuns me because I am gay and not masculine enough for their taste. The same guy still would sleep with me in a bathhouse, no questions asked. I have spotted so many DL Church Boys on the rare occasion that I do go out. Most of the Af-American DL Church Boys I see in Chicago live on the far South Side and South suburbs. They travel up to the North side in order to find sex and so that no one from there church will know. I know boys. I know and I am tellin'

No comments:

Post a Comment