Monday, July 18, 2005

How Was Your Weekend?

This weekend I learned a few things about myself. First, I do not the current sweltering weather here in Chicago. This weekend I had to work Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. Neither was all that pleasant.

Saturday afternoon Steve surprised me and took me to the Chicago Botanic Gardens. This has to be one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever visited but definitely a cooler day activity. The temp was in the 90s but with the heat index, it felt like it was in the 100s. While we were there I enjoyed the gardens that we saw but we eventually had to leave because the sun and temp was too cruel. On the way home we had to make a few stops and I demanded my favorite hotdog from Superdawg. The juicy and delicious sausage and fries was good going down but a nightmare as it sat heavily in my stomach for the next several hours.

Knowing that I had a special Straight & Nappy performance that night, I tried to nap when I got home. I was able to sleep for a half hour before I heard microphone feedback. There was a band performing in the park behind our house. I guess I was going to have to get up. I did. Steve and I decided to take the dogs to the park to hear the band. The band was not very good. They weren't completely horrible but they were not great. Two of the three singers were alright but the third was a nightmare. You could hear her off-pitch bird calling, that she thought was singing, for blocks. I know because I couldn't take her anymore and walked away with the dogs. Three blocks later, my ears were still in pain. The band in the park stopped performing around 7:40 pm and the band performing on the other end of the block at a house party got started. It was a busy little night on our block.

I had a show at 10:15 pm at a north side theatre. Rebecca and I were performing with some friends that have their own comedy troupe. To be honest, we have been so busy trying to open Boojie Nights that I almost forgot we had booked this gig. The show went fine but I was sooooooooooooo tired but when I got home that night, I had insomnia and was up until 3:30ish in the morning. That was when I realized that I didn't feed the dogs that night. It was so hot that Steve and I skipped dinner and consequently the dogs fasted that day too.

Sunday, I had to help run the Storybus. We were at a local street fair that was underattended because of the heat. We told one story (instead of four) to 9 kids. We basically stood around and sweated during the hottest parts of the day (11 am - 4 pm) for nothing. I was in a terrible mood afterwards, if you can imagine that. Steve picked me up on his motorcycle and offered to take me to a restaurant for food. I was too gross and needed a shower. Following my shower, I was told that one of Steve's friends was coming over. His (our) friend's live-in boyfriend was out of town and he needed company. We helped provide that. We were originally going to go out for tapas but Steve suggested Asado. It was a great idea. Good wine, 20-30 items on the salad bar to choose from plus all the meat you could imagine. I loved it. Steve managed to turn my day around.

When we left the restaurant it was still uncomfortable and warm but we went home and watched Team America:World Police. I went to bed happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment