Monday, May 16, 2005

Invitation To Dance


I received the following invite today with instructions to pass it forward to any teens that I may think are interested in attending. I no longer work with teens but I thought I would put it out there anyway.

I didn't go to my own prom. I just discussed this topic with my boyfriend (yes, it's official I have a boyfriend) over the weekend. It is not that I couldn't go. I was invited by two or three ladies but I was more interested in working an extra shift at Hardee's. I needed the cash more than I needed a corsage. I don't regret having missed the prom. But if there are queer youths that want to go, I say GO!



Noche de Arco iris: Queer Prom 2005
Friday May 27th 2005, 7PM*

*The space will be open at 6pm for pre-party preparations.
Any youth who want to come and get ready at the museum are welcome.

Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum
1852 West 19th Street, Chicago. IL. 60608
Dinner. Music. Dance. Drag. Break Dancing. Performances.

Tickets are $10 / Sliding scale

Dress to express

We deserve to have our queer prom because even though we are athletes, class presidents, students, and activists, a lot of times in our schools we get pointed at, excluded, and harassed; because we are an important part of this community, and we have a right to a claim spaces within our neighborhoods that reflect the complexities and diversity of our identity; because we need to erase the invisibility of LGBT youth in our communities; and mostly because we like to party and have fun.


We invite all LGBTQ identified youth and their allies

(adults, hetero and otherwise) to join us for the first

"Noche the Arco iris: Queer Prom 2005"

If you have questions, want to volunteer, or want to buy tickets in advance, contact Tania at or 312 455 9455 x 108

This event is organized by Homofrecuencia, the first Spanish-language LGBT youth radio show in the country. Listen every Monday night from 8-10 PM on Radio Arte 90.5 FM Chicago or on the web at www.radioarte..org/homofrecuencia.

Homofrecuencia is a production of Radio Arte WRTE 90.5 FM Chicago.

Radio Arte is a youth initiative of the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment