Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Farewell to Keith Knudsen


Doobie Brothers drummer Knudsen dies I love the Doobie Brothers. A family friend, that I called Uncle Kenny, introduced me to them when I was a small child. Uncle Kenny was a drummer and he wanted to be the next Keith Knudsen. I remember Aunt Vera, Kenny's wife, complaining about all that racket he was making as he played "Taking It to the Streets" over and over again. I loved it. I loved the vibe. I loved the energy. And I loved when he would play "What a Fool Believes" with Michael McDonald woofing out those crazy vocals.

When I was a member of the Second City National Touring Company I performed a scene called "Pictionary." I would do it with Craig Uhlir, Bridget Kloss, and Molly Erdman. At the end of the scene, Craig and I would celebrate in song by singing "Taking It to the Streets." It made us laugh (even if the audience didn't) and we enjoyed ourselves. Thanks Doobs and farewell Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment