Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Fear Sells


Tying Illinois' prosperity to fear is a bad callFear is such a great tool. It fuels religion, war, and our current US society. Fear is what kept me in the closet; in the church; and emotionally impoverished. I think we will regret building our economy around fear much like the passing of anti-gay marriage laws.

I think of Arthur Miller's play, "All My Sons." The story of a war profiteer that loses the respect and love of his own family after the war is over. In fairness, I should say that the father in the play engages in some unethical behavior. I am not suggesting that Illinois Gov. Blagojevich wants us to do something that may endanger lives but his cause hardly seems noble. Let's put our resources towards building up our society instead of fueling the fear that will eventually destroy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment