Sunday, April 17, 2005

Movin' On Up...Think Again.


jeffersons
Originally uploaded by mylilpip.
The past several days have been a whirlwind. I opened Straight & Nappy on the south side, directed another student comedy show, performed Straight & Nappy on the north side. And prepared to move.

It was a lot of work in one week's time but I accomplished everything. I was up until 4 am last night packing up my belongings.

This mornng I got up at 9:30 to do some last minute cleaning. My friend Steve arrived at 10:40ish and in no time he had efficiently loaded his station wagon.

We were off -- from Rogers Park to Lincoln Park. Goodbye Mexican restaraunts, hello yuppie sit-downs.

I phoned my soon to be roomie, Shawn, when I was 5 minutes from his place. He answered the phone a little hung over and said that he "better jump in a cab" and get there. What! He's not there. We have a car full of my earthly possessions in an area known for having a serious parking deficit.

Luckily, we found a spot in front of a diner. I was hungry and Steve thought this would be a better alternative to the McDonalds that I would have eaten. He was right and I felt better after breakfast. But there was still no sign of my future roomie.

Steve and I killed a bit more time by walking in the sun. Today was beautiful in Chicago. The day got nicer and nicer as the morning progressed. Where is Shawn?

Finally I got in touch with Shawn. He seemed in some sort of panic. He sounded dejected. He said the Landlord wouldn't let me move in until he met me and I signed a lease. But I was promised that I could move in no problem and that I would just start paying rent on May 1. No deal. The landlord needs to make sure that I am a respectable person and he was willing to meet later today. He said we would call and set up a time.

Now, I have all my stuff in my friend's car. My friend that volunteered his help with no reciprocation expected. At that moment, I didn't have a home. I was literally homeless.

I got on the phone and called my old roomie from the apartment I had since September until earlier this morning. He, of course, said I could return but it was just a surreal moment. I had packed all my stuff. Left. And now I am returning it all back to where I had packed it only several hours before.

So, I didn't move. When Shawn called me later to say that the landlord could meet in 45 minutes, I told him to forget it. No more Lincoln Park. It is back to Rogers Park. Goodbye Depaul cuties, hello Loyola cuties.

1 comment:

  1. Always glad to help out a friend ... Jason, Riley and I are glad you decided to stay ...

    ReplyDelete