Saturday, April 23, 2005

We Still Matter


Washington State rejects gay rights bill My girl, LL Cool P has been urging friends to write Microsoft and let them know that liberals buy computers too (including the gays). I have printed a copy of her letter below if you would like to send a letter as well.

Attn: Bradford L. Smith, Senior V.P.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399
Fax #: (425) 936-7329

Mr. Smith:

I’m writing to express my anger at Microsoft’s decision to withdraw
support last month for House Bill 1515, currently under consideration
by the Washington State legislature. My understanding (from an article
published yesterday online in The Stranger) is that Microsoft, a $37
billion dollar company, caved to pressure from a right-wing religious
extremist under threat of a boycott, rather than support this important
anti-discrimination legislation.

Mr. Smith, I could waste a lot of time and paper explaining to you
that, despite Rev. Hutcherson’s opinions to the contrary, this is a
civil rights issue, and that gays have no more choice than
African-Americans in being born who they are. But I presume you’re an
intelligent man, and you already know that. I seriously doubt this
decision was made because you and the other “powers that be” at
Microsoft agree with Rev. Hutcherson’s position.

What sickens me is that this decision was most likely made for a
combination of two ignoble reasons: cowardice and greed. For a company
as wealthy and powerful as yours – particularly one whose chairman runs
a major foundation that supposedly supports a host of human rights
issues – to be so easily intimidated by a fringe group is, quite
frankly, pathetic. If Microsoft won’t stand up to these hate-mongers
trying to take control of our great nation, who will??

Sadly, the joke might be on you in the end. I am banking on the fact
that most intelligent people (the type who, say, read the New York
Times and purchase a lot of computer software) are on the other side of
this issue, aka the pro-civil rights side. I have a funny feeling that
you might be facing much more pressure, and perhaps an even more
devastating boycott, from those unhappy folks once they read this
morning’s paper. I can promise I’ll be doing my part in that regard,
by continuing to support Apple.

Sincerely yours,


Mrs. LK
Van Nuys, California


cc: Tami Begasse, Corporate Communications Spokesperson (Microsoft)
Stafford Mays, Senior Outreach Manager for Corporate Diversity
(Microsoft)
Sandeep Kaushik, thestranger.com
Washington State Rep. Ed Murray


You go girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment