Sunday, April 24, 2005

Surprises Around the Corner, part one


Yesterday, I awoke feeling really congested and run down. My voice was not 100% but good enough to do the show that I had to perform at night. Even though I slept until nearly 10, I was still feeling amazingly lethargic. I made some breakfast and listened to some old school R & B. I drank plenty of Genmai Cha tea to soothe my throat.


My roommate, who had been out shopping with his houseguest, returned briefly to check on the dogs. The two were out the door not long afterwards to grab some lunch. I decided that this cold dreary day would be perfect for reading, napping and snuggling with the chihuahuas. I was able to accomplish all three.

I slept longer than I expected and awoke still feeling tired. I had a show to do and it wasn't going to be performed from my bed so I showered, shaved, and groomed for our show.

Last night's show was taped with a live audience. I was slightly nervous about the taping. I was concerned that I wasn't feeling 100% I wanted the taping to reflect Rebecca and I at our peak. There was no time to worry but that didn't stop me.

I made my way to the lighting booth, to go over the technical aspects of a new scene we were performing, and ran into one of my former high school students from the improv/comedy writing program at Phillips HS on the south side. I promised my students that they could have a free ticket to see Straight & Nappy. I didn't think any of them would take me up on it but here was Robert, one of my best improvisers and a very funny performer, standing right in front of me. He had just seen the show before mine. I asked him if he wanted to see Straight & Nappy and he said he did. I told him that I would make sure that happened but first I had some errands to run. I invited him to come with me. I introduced him to as many people as I could around the theatre. He was happy to tag along and I loved it because it was like having a little brother to show off.

The show went well despite my neurosis and I was surprised that Robin, one of the Second City producers was in the audience. She graciously came back stage to speak to Rebecca, Catchcart & Olson (Melissa and Jay), and myself. Robert peeked into the dressing room. What perfect timing. I introduced him to Robin. It was good opportunity to encourage Robert that maybe someday there may be a job for him there. Robin took over and talked to him. She invited him to be a guest at other Second City shows. It was pretty sweet.

Robert and I walked out into the lobby from the theatre. I wanted to see if I had any friends out there. Boy, was I surprised. Three women (more white women) that I attended college with me were standing at the bottom of the stairs to the box office. I have a history from when I first started with these women. One of them I hadn't seen in 15 years. My mouth dropped. I was dumbfounded. These are three of the last people I expected to see and three of the best faces I could have ever looked upon.

There was Debbie. Debbie is the one that I hadn't seen in 15 years. Debbie was the rebel wild girl in college. She was full of energy and always into something. She always had projects and she, seemingly, always was having fun. I was a born-again closeted christian when I last saw Debbie. I still cursed from time to time but for the most part I was...A "good boy."

There was Stephanie. Steph is my homegirl because we are both Peorians. She is a bit younger than me but not much 'cause she and I did a show together my junior year. It was Fats Waller's Ain't Misbehavin'. Again, this is probably 1988 or '89. Steph caused a campus controversy when she was cast in Ain't Misbehavin'. There were a few students that thought it was wrong that a white girl was cast in the "all black musical." For those of you that don't know, Ain't Misbehavin is a musical revue. There is no real book and very little dialogue. They basically serve as a showcase for music, dance, and personalities. This girl was good. She could sing, she could dance, and she could act. She had personalities for days and was fun to be around. I am so glad that she was a part of that experience.

There was also Leigh. Leigh is the one that I have known the longest.
And the one I see most often, which is not that often. I was around when Leigh was making peace with coming out. She later supported me after I came out and without judgment for my misguided youth spent yapping about Jesus and dating girls. Leigh worked on Ain't Misbehavin' too. All three ladies worked on that show. I have very fond memories of that particular show, cast, and crew. It was a brilliant time.

No comments:

Post a Comment