Monday, April 25, 2005

Surprises Around the Corner, part two


So there were the three ladies from my past, Leigh, Debbie, and Steph. I hugged them...A lot. I had forgotten all about my former student Robert. I introduced him and then he had to go. It was late and he had to go back down to the south side. What a great guy. My director, Dre, dropped by a few times but I was constantly yakking to my three white girls from college.

We played catch up for a good while. Debbie has two kids. One of them is the spitting image of her. She had moved to New York. She judges talent competitions. She takes her daughter to dance classes. I wonder if her day goes like this. Actually, her daughter is around 11 or 12. And if she inherits anything from her Mom, I'm sure it will be a strong will and the ability to speak her mind.

Steph has been singing, and doing voice over and radio. She's looks pratically the same as she did ten years ago, only worldlier. She performs Wednesdays at Jilly's. I definitely will check that out.

Leigh keeps on keeping on. I have seen Leigh here and there since college. Sometimes I take her for granted. I say this with regret. She has always been there at some spot along almost 20 years now. We are like a scrap quilt. Torn but joined together nonetheless. Connected by shared experience and common bonds. She is yellow and I am blue. Together we make spring.

I have come to the knowledge that I must need these white ladies in my world. I don't know. I do know that their hav been these groups of ladies that have always been there since I was in elementary school.

The ladies. Oh, the ladies were blowing my mind. We sat and talked for nearly two hours in the lobby of the theatre. Catching up. Laughing about the past. Rebecca joined us. It was one of the best nights I have had in quite a while. It is nice to be reconnected with people that have seemingly gone away. It was the best reunion I have had in some time. And it was a complete surprise, thanks to Leigh.

1 comment: