Monday, January 03, 2005

Back 2 Work
2005 marks 21 years since I got my first paycheck for acting. Wow. One thing that you begin to understand about this business is that unemployment is just part of the package.

After I quit my job touring for The Second City in March, I basically hustled my ass to get whatever gig I could. I did some temp work. I did some teaching. I did some corporate theatre work. And I even played Barney at a Bar Mitzvah (one of the lowest career points of the year). All my hustling came to a screeching halt around Dec 23rd...not too bad but that means that I haven't worked in almost two weeks. There were the holidays to keep me busy but I also spent a lot of money, something you try not to do when no money is coming in. I have bookings in February and the current show that I am writing opens in March but I was getting frustrated trying to figure out what to do now. I needed work.

I woke up this morning feeling awful because the temp agency had not called to send me on an assignment this week. While I was on the phone with my friend Roz I got a call. I booked some work. YEAH! I booked three gigs today as a matter of fact. It is not a hell of a lot of money but enough to cover my expenses through January and get me through to my gigs in February. Whew! That feels better.

No comments:

Post a Comment